Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Fly" by Sugar Ray


by Katie

History will be unkind to Sugar Ray. Their legacy will undoubtedly be of a SoCal punk band (if anyone even bothers to remember that they were once "punk" at all) that cashed in on their one radio-friendly song and continued a Phelps-like winning streak of mom-rock hits. Not to mention the fact that their adorrrrrable frontman parlayed his music career into the totally credible hard-hitting news program Extra and the gripping documentary, The Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Pussycat Doll.

You may not remember, but "Fly", before it became a cheesy adult contemporary hit, was played on the much cooler alternative stations. It was one of those songs that transitioned from the alternative-rock radio stations to the Top 40 once it began to gain steam. And as soon as that juggernaut started, WATCHOUTBABY, cuz this shitrollercoaster ain't got no brakes.

I don't remember much about my 10th grade chemistry class other than the time my teacher brought in his acoustic guitar and played a song he had penned himself about the mole (the scientific unit of measure, not the creature or skin condition, as noted in the lyrics). But I do have one very happy memory of being in an especially great mood because all morning I had "Fly" stuck in my head. It was one of those few stuck-in-the-head moments that's the opposite of annoying - it's a song you really truly like, and every time it plays in your head, your brain tingles. The best way I can describe this is that it feels exactly like a second glass of white wine.

Over the summer of 1997, "Fly" became a huge hit and eventually became pretty annoying. By the time school started again in the fall, the captain of my soccer team had added it to the "SIKE-UP" mixtape she made for practices, at which point I knew the song was truly dead to me. This may have been my first taste of having the feeling that I had liked a band FIRST but it was ruined because now these unhip jocks were into them.

I would also just like to mention that this mixtape also included "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba.

You know what, though? "Fly" is a fucking awesome song. Throw this on at a party, and people will go fucking nuts, I guarantee it. If you sing this at karaoke, you will have gained the admiration of men and women alike.

Addendum to this story: Sugar Ray put out a new album last week. Seriously. Epic wins bookended by epic Fails; hakuna matata, amigos.

7 comments:

  1. Katie is the author of the sorryimissedyourparty.com blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is the sorryimissedyourparty.com blog? Like a chatroom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm always paralyzed during karaoke by the question "what will make people go fucking nuts?". it's either some motown oldie or "fly" by sugar ray. definitely singing this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me, "Fly" ran the natural course of "This is kinda catchy." to "This is great!" to "This song again?" to "I can hear the dude starting the rap intro...quick CHANGE THE SONG!!!!" And that's where it sat for several years.

    However, a couple years ago when I was scrolling through the P2P networks to find something different to listen to, I found Sugar Ray's Greatest Hits. I knew they had a couple more singles over the years, but I didn't know how many until I started to listen.

    That's when the infection set in...

    When you go two hours listening to the same album on repeat, you know it's a problem. I don't know what sort of audio cocaine they put into their songs, but it definitely keeps you hooked. And much like cocaine, if you talk about it with people who haven't experienced it, they think you're nuts and you have a problem.

    Sugar Ray won't be showing up on any "Most Influential Bands of All Time" lists, and their latest CD "Music for Cougars" is lacking in the quality department, but they still have a place in my heart.

    When someone asked how my Spring Break was this year, I replied, "It was just like Sugar Ray said it would be"...and I think that's the point.

    ReplyDelete